Strategic Communications Program Assistant
Dates: November 2021 – May 2022
Women In International seek a Security Strategic Communication and Web Development Program Assistant to work part-time (20 hours per week). Strong candidates should have completed or are currently completing an M.A. or B.A. in Communications, Marketing, Web Development, Multimedia, IT or a related field. Degrees in International Affairs/Security with past experience in Communications or a related field are also accepted.
The primary responsibility of the Strategic Communications and Web Development Program Assistant is to assist in the development and implementation of external communications, institutional media campaigns, and web site maintenance and enhancements. These responsibilities will entail attentive and effective communication through the WIIS website and a variety of social media platforms, social bookmarks, and forums. The Strategic Communications and Web Development Program Assistant will also have input in the WIIS web and communications strategies moving forward.
- Continually update and research new trends/improvements for WIIS Global website and other WIIS products;
- Help facilitate and implement WIIS online marketing and outreach strategies, including social media and web platforms;
- Build community interest and momentum through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, the WIIS Network and other social media channels by posting updates, engaging conversations and discussions, and increasing the number of followers;
- Assist the team with drafting and quality control in its external email campaigns, event and marketing materials, and other outreach efforts;
- Research the social media landscape and build compelling outreach programs to actively engage targeted communities and develop critical marketing strategies;
- Monitor, track, and share analytics and insights into community audiences and online conversations with team;
- Explore new web and social media tools and implement best practices;
- Monitor the WIIS Network and keep the member list active and up to date;
- Coordinate communication between WIIS Global, international affiliates, and chapters.
- Functional knowledge of WordPress or similar platforms;
- Experience with email marketing tools such as Get Response, iContact, MailChimp, ExactTarget, etc;
- Innovative ideas and experience working and building campaigns with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram;
- Reliable communication and collaboration skills;
- Ability to edit, produce, and design content;
- Proficiency using Photoshop, Publisher, Premiere, etc a plus;
- Interest in global security issues and gender is preferred;
- English-language fluency.
We Will Provide You:
- Experience working at a unique global, mission driven and leadership organization;
- Collaboration within a positive team environment;
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global security issues;
- Career mentoring and professional development;
- Networking with other professionals working on global security issues
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, an example of your work (i.e. a graphic you designed, link to a social media page or website you worked on, etc.), and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Strategic Communications Program Assistant” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
International applications are welcome to apply as this is a virtual internship. Women In International Security does not facilitate visas for applicants.
While this is an unpaid part-time student internship, WIIS will work with individuals to receive school credit and/or school funding for this internship. All internships will be virtual for the foreseeable future.
WIIS does not discriminate in its activities or operations on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, familial status, source of income, genetic information, place of residence or business, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or credit information. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, and affiliates.
Individuals of all genders are encouraged to apply.