Gender and Global Security Program Intern
Dates: November 2021 – May 2022
Women In International Security (WIIS) is seeking a Gender and Global Security Program Intern to work part-time (20 hours per week). Strong candidates should have or are currently completing, an M.A. or B.A. in Women’s/Gender Studies, Conflict and Resolution, Security Studies, International Relations, International Law, Political Science, or a related field. Preference will be given to candidates with interest and experience in communications, marketing, Multimedia, IT, or a related field. Internships begin the month of January 2022 and last through May 2022. As the situation COVID-19 develops, we have determined that our office will be functioning remotely for the rest of 2021 and into 2022.
Program Assistants will contribute to three main areas in the WIIS organization: Research, Marketing and Member Services, and External Events and Programs. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct research & produce reports on topics related to gender and international security;
- Organize and help facilitate Policy Roundtables, Programs, partnership events, and large
- Help facilitate and implement WIIS online marketing and outreach strategies, including social media and web platforms;
- Assist the team with drafting and quality control in its external email campaigns, event and marketing materials, and other outreach efforts;
- Research the social media landscape and build compelling outreach programs to actively engage targeted communities and develop critical marketing strategies;
- Monitor the WIIS Network and keep the member list active and up to date;
- Coordinate communication between WIIS Global, international affiliates, and chapters.
- Participate in mandatory trainings, weekly team meetings and check-ins with your supervisor, and contribute to general administrative duties;
- Attend and report on key events and discussions relevant to WIIS program objectives;
- Monitor and track programmatic activities and research;
- English-language fluency/Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Innovative ideas and experience working and building campaigns with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram;
- Reliable communication and collaboration skills;
- Ability to edit, produce, and design content;
- At least one year of professional experience (internships and/or academic experience) is strongly preferred;
- Solid organizational abilities and detail-oriented;
- Strong research and computer skills;
- Experience and/or interest in global security and gender issues;
- Current student or recently
- Experience working at a unique global, leadership organization;
- Collaboration within a positive team environment;
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global security issues;
- Career mentoring and professional development;
- Networking with other professionals working on global security
How to Apply: Please send your resume, statement of interest, and 800-1500 word professional writing sample to Roksana Verahrami (email@example.com) with “Gender and Global Security Program Intern” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please note: While International applications are welcome to apply as the position is remote, preference will be given to locally based candidate. Women In International Security does not facilitate visas for applicants. While this is an unpaid part-time student internship, WIIS will work with individuals to receive school credit and/or school funding for this internship.
WIIS does not discriminate in its activities or operations on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, familial status, source of income, genetic information, place of residence or business, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or credit information. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, and affiliates.
Individuals of all genders are encouraged to apply.