Gender and Global Security Program Intern
Women In International Security is seeking a Gender and Global Security Program Intern to work part-time (20 hours per week) starting in May 2022. The primary responsibility of the Gender and Global Security Program Intern is to assist in the development and implementation of external communications and WIIS’ program objectives. Internships will be remote; however, preference will be given to candidates living in or near Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in mandatory trainings, weekly team meetings & general administrative duties.
- Attend and report on key events and discussions relevant to WIIS program objectives.
- Monitor and track programmatic activities and research.
- Organize and help facilitate events and large projects.
- Help facilitate and implement WIIS online marketing and outreach strategies, including social media and web platforms.
- Build community interest and momentum through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, the WIIS Network, and other social media channels by posting updates, engaging conversations and discussions, and increasing the number of followers.
- Assist the team with drafting and proofreading external email campaigns, event and marketing materials, and other outreach efforts.
- Research the social media landscape and build compelling outreach programs to actively engage targeted communities and develop critical marketing strategies.
- Explore new web and social media tools and implement best practices.
- Monitor the WIIS Network and keep the member list active and up to date.
- Help coordinate communication between WIIS Global, international affiliates, and chapters.
- Solid organizational abilities and attention to detail.
- Strong research and computer skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Reliable communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to edit, produce, and design content.
- Must be fluent in English or a native speaker.
- Functional knowledge of WordPress or similar platforms.
- Experience with email marketing tools such as Get Response, iContact, MailChimp, ExactTarget, etc.
- Innovative ideas and experience working and building campaigns with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Experience working at a unique global, leadership organization.
- Collaboration within a positive team environment.
- Increased understanding of and alignment with global security issues.
- Career mentoring and professional development.
- Networking with other professionals working on global security issues.
Interns will receive a small monthly stipend.
How to Apply: Please send your resume, statement of interest, and 800-1500 word professional writing sample to Roksana Verahrami ([email protected]) with “Gender and Global Security Program Intern” in the subject line. Applications are due by April 21, 2022.
Please note: International applications are welcome to apply but candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Women In International Security does not facilitate visas for applicants.
WIIS does not discriminate in its activities or operations on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, familial status, source of income, genetic information, place of residence or business, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or credit information. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, and affiliates. Individuals of all genders are encouraged to apply.
Please email Roksana Verahrmai ([email protected]) with any questions, or with your application.