Website United States Institute of Peace
Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts worldwide. Together we tackle the most challenging problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Program Specialist (PS)- Kenya provides in-country programmatic and administrative coordination and support for the Border Security Training Program (BSTP). In coordination with the Senior Program Officer-Kenya and the Program Team at HQ, the PS will also provide research and writing, deliver training and coordinate activities, and represent USIP at all partner training for quality control and to provide oversight.
The Program Specialist reports to the BSTP Senior Program Officer-Kenya on the Curriculum and Training Design team (CTD). The CTD team creates and implements rigorous and sustainable transformative learning processes that strengthen the capacity of individual and institutional partners to build peaceful, just, and inclusive societies. CTD is part of the Gandhi-King Academy.
This is a Full-Time, one-year term contract position through June 30, 2024, based in Nairobi, Kenya. The contract can be renewed for a second year pending good performance, funding, and business needs.
This is a Personal Services Contractor position for a host-country (Kenya Foreign National) contractor.
- Oversee in-country training coordination and implementation, working closely with USG and Kenyan partners.
- Attend all in-country training to provide oversight and logistical support.
- Work closely with partners to ensure vetting lists and other training-related documents required for training are submitted on time and in the correct format.
- Deliver BSTP training in Kenya as needed.
- Provide mentoring and coaching support to partner trainers through training-of training processes.
- Support in-country M&E efforts, including data collection (administering surveys and conducting interviews).
- Contribute to the development and updating of both internal and external BSTP program documents (e.g., web content, project pages, special reports, fact sheets, after action reports, quarterly reports, etc.).
- Provide training reports to guide the Program Team in improving upon the training.
- Support Kenyan institutional partners in preparing for USIP training and coordinate training execution with partners (e.g., following up to make sure officers have been mobilized for training, making sure that training rooms are allocated, etc.).
- Track security-related issues for travel and mobility between Nairobi and training sites, updating the HQ Program Team in advance of all in-country activities.
Event Development and Planning
- Support the design and manage the implementation of private and public events in Kenya, liaising and coordinating with internal HQ staff, and external partners and guests.
- Draft promotional and informative descriptions of events and event literature for USIP staff, funding partners, and external guests.
- Bachelor’s degree in peacebuilding, development or related field.
- Four (4) or more years related experience.
- Two (2) or more years of conflict-related programmatic experience required.
- Experience facilitating training content on conflict resolution, identity, gender, community engagement, and related topics.
- Experience organizing and implementing trainings, conferences, and meetings and coordinating domestic and international travel arrangements.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a variety of teams and partners.
- Experience working with security sector actors and community-based organizations preferred.
- Competence and experience in program administration
- Proficiency in English.
- Excellent research and writing ability; strong organizational skills; and ability to work independently and collegially.
- Excellent computer skills, especially in word processing and internet navigation.
- Strong networking skills and capabilities.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work, multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Outlook, and Excel, are required.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
1. Completed employment application, including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
2. Cover letter
For questions about this position, please email [email protected]. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.